Last week, I focused on the 12 ways for women not to become invisible after 40. This week, it’s a version of that for the men.
I say version because as men get older they don’t become invisible. In fact, they start to stand out for the overly comfortable way they dress. The New York Times had a great article about this, referencing the play, Superior Donuts. In it, middle-aged Arthur says, “I haven’t dated in a long time.” The much younger Franco deadpans, “That’s hard to believe, the way you dress and everything.” Arthur retorts, “I like to be comfortable.” Franco smirks: “You might be comfortable naked, but that don’t mean it looks good.”
40+ men, it does not have to be this way. Because compared to women, it is sooo ridiculously easy for you to mojo up your style.
Why I wish I were a man
It’s not just that men get the vast majority of the income, executive positions, and political power. I wish I were a man because by doing just one thing that takes 5 seconds, they can go from being a 4 to a 7. Or a 6 to a 9.
Men, you are complete idiots if you don’t do this one thing
Get a tailored blue blazer. Just toss on your blazer over a white shirt and jeans and — shazam! Your whole look changes. If you put it over a patterned shirt and nicer pants, it is an even bigger transformation. And, if you want to go all Don Draper, add a pocket square (a colorful little bit of silk you put in the outside pocket). Do not skip the tailored step. No matter what type of shape you’re in, you’ll look slimmer and taller if it’s tailored.
You’re also idiots if you omit these 6 tips
- Smile. Men don’t smile nearly as much as women, so when they do, everyone (especially women) really notices. It’s totally unfair that men get so much attention for something that is almost the default expression for women.
- Update your glasses. Whether prescription or sunglasses, it’s not enough for them just to be functional. Unless they are are the cool retro type, you need to update your frames. Men over 40 often neglect to do this because they hate change and it seems too foo-foo.
- Get a haircut, become friends with a hair product, and embrace your baldness. Oh my gosh — the one area where men finally are at a disadvantage. If you have hair, make the most of it with a great cut and hair products. Always, get a good hair stylist that focuses on men. If you’re balding, go with it. Once again, talk to a stylist who can help you.
- Diversify your friendships. If you’re straight, you need to expand your circle and include some gay men and straight women friends. Gays, you already have women friends and some straight acquaintances; you need to become closer friends with some key straight guys. And to round out the whole kumbaya circle, everyone should be friends with lesbians. You will become much more interesting — and everyone finds that’s sexy.
- Ask a woman questions, then shut up and really listen. Did you know that most women will keep a running score of how many questions you’ve asked compared to how many she’s asked? Most men don’t ask that many questions. When you ask and really listen to the answer, everyone thinks you’re much better looking and charming than when you were just talking about yourself.
- Lift weights. I’m ending this the same way I ended the women’s list. Lift weights because it will get you in shape faster than cardio (although do that, too) and everything looks better on a nicely muscled frame. Plus, when you feel in shape and strong, you move with so much more confidence. And what’s more stylish than that?
At least half of you reading this right now are women. I know it’s unfair that men have these uber-easy short cuts but the good news is that it’s much more straightforward for you to get your guy to make these changes. And the bonus — if a woman is with a good looking man, she is perceived to be better looking herself.
Thanks to David McKnight of DAMstyle for contributing to the style tips.
Photo credit: NBC Photos Dana Edelson
Got some more suggestions for men to get their style mojo going? Add them in the comments.
|Did you enjoy this post? subscribe now to get all of the posts|