You aim to be productive whenever you can grab a few moments. But inevitably, there are times you are stranded by the Internet. Like a pigeon with no homing device.
Maybe you are in a cell dead zone, or maybe that chic Manhattan cafe limits how long you can connect. Sheesh, what a hassle … and then, what to do?
You have a few options. You can buy a pre-paid gizmo to connect to your computer or laptop, that you take with you. Or, you can connect to a mobile hotspot via a smartphone app.
If you are a fan of Mojo40.com, take this advice: The mobile hotspot app is great and gets my highest recommendation.
Don’t know how to connect? Here is your handy reference guide, for those who need a gentle “push.”
How to connect to a mobile hotspot on your Android device
- Call Verizon or whoever is your wireless carrier, and ask them to turn it on. There is a small monthly fee (my carrier charges $20 per month). If you don’t want it forever, you can set it to expire before your next billing cycle, in the same phone call.
- Tap the Applications icon, find the app that says “3G Mobile Hotspot.” Tap it. Your screen now looks like this:
- Check the box next to Mobile Hotspot by tapping it.
- A new screen appears; you don’t need the reminder so ignore it and press continue.
- A new screen appears with the message, “Mobile Hotspot may use more battery. You may want to plug the phone into a power outlet.” Check the box next to the text that says, ”Turn on mobile hotspot.”
- [This applies to a Mac] On your laptop, desktop, or table, under this icon
you will see that the pull down screen will automatically find the Wi-Fi hotspot.
How do you know you are connected to a mobile hotspot?
On the phone’s app, it will say the name of the connected devices in the menu.
What if I have trouble connecting?
Maybe you are overextending the network. For example, if you only purchased 2G of Wi-Fi, you will not be able to connect three devices.
When I was in the middle of the boondocks recently with family and friends, 2G of Wi-Fi only powered two cell phones and one laptop at a time. So, judiciously consider how much power you will need for the number of devices you wish to utilize. For a multiplicity of devices, you might need to increase gigabytes.
How to connect to a mobile hotspot on your iPhone
Once you have ordered the service from your wireless carrier, it shows up under the settings menu. Settings -> personal hotspot. This will take your data connection and broadcast it as a Wi-Fi signal, allowing you to get work done while you have a pedicure (or ride the train home!)
|Did you enjoy this post? subscribe now to get all of the posts|